Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Weathervane Wednesday ~ A Thanksgiving Turkey?

I post a series of weather vane photographs every Wednesday.  This started with images of weathervanes from the Londonderry area, but now I've found interesting weather vanes all across New England.  Sometimes my weather vanes are whimsical, or historical, but all are interesting.  Often my readers tip me off to some very unique or unusual weathervanes, too!

Today's weather vane is from a vacation spot in New Hampshire

Do you know the location of weathervane #236?  Scroll down to find the answer.








Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, and I've been saving this photo of the weather vane from a top the cupola at the Hart's Turkey Farm Restaurant in Meredith, New Hampshire.  This local landmark has been operated by the Hart family since 1954.  It is located near Meredith Bay on Daniel Webster Highway at the junction of Routes 3 and 104, so it draws a lot of tourists, even busses full of leaf peepers!

Here you can get a traditional turkey dinner with all the fixings, turkey pot pies, turkey sandwiches, turkey chili, poutine with turkey gravy, turkey nuggets, turkey meatloaf, and lots of other turkey specialties! I'm sure they will have a full house tomorrow for the Thanksgiving holiday!

The third generation of the Hart family is now running the restaurant.  It has grown from an actual farm with a 12 seat dining room, to a huge business with nearly 500 seats that also provides functions and local catering. Check out the website link below for a complete history, and also a memory page where customers post their fondest remembrances of visits to Hart's Turkey Farm Restaurant.

The weathervane is a two dimensional silhouette of a turkey, with nicely carved feather details we could only see with a zoom lens. It is the only turkey weather vane I've ever seen.  How about you?  

Hart's Turkey Farm Restaurant website:  http://hartsturkeyfarm.com/   

Click here to see the entire collection of Weathervane Wednesday posts! 


--------------------------------

Published under a Creative Commons License
Heather Wilkinson Rojo, "Weathervane Wednesday ~A Thanksgiving Turkey?", Nutfield Genealogy, posted November 25, 2015, (  http://nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.com/2015/11/weathervane-wednesday-thanksgiving.html : accessed [access date]).

2 comments:

  1. No, I've never seen a turkey weathervane before, but if there is one thing your blog has taught me, it is that I don't look up enough! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment on my blog, Anna! Yes, some of my weathervane posts have comments like "I've lived nearby for 30 years and never noticed that weathervane". Weather vanes are like hidden treasures in plain view!

      Delete